oasis-board-comment message

Subject: Re: [oasis-board-comment] Fwd: [emergency] Objections toDHS-Dictated Material in the IPAWS Profile Draft

I think a "Conflict of Interest" disclosure policy for OASIS along
the lines of the W3C model could be a good idea. All member
organizations need to represent their own interests, but the trouble
comes in when lack of disclosure raises concerns, especially when
government agencies are involved and there are possible, but unknown
impacts on regulatory matters.

Since many if not most of us devoutly support adoption of voluntary
consensus standards, there are good reasons to encourage government
participation. But if government members are so highly constrained
that they feel they can't actually participate lest they
inadvertently conflict with known, unknown or unspoken policies, the
value of their participation resides largely in monitoring standards
development activity rather than participating, even if it such
participation would be in the interests of the citizenry at large.

I wish I had a good answer for the global time zone problem, and I've
tried to get alternating times to spread out or equalize the
discomfort and inconvenience, but nothing I've tried or been
associated with seems to work as well as we'd like.

Cheers,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks