oasis-board-comment message

Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP-IPAWS Profile Specification Issues

Art,

I am so sorry that I was unable to attend today's meeting. I am hoping
that time will allow so that I can again be actively involved in EM
standards development in the very near future.

If you can forgive my having to observe this issue unfold from some
distance, I would like clarification on exactly how a consortium of
volunteers can be obligated contractually to any entity.

Any insights you or anyone else can provide is appreciated.

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist, Research & Development
Innovative Emergency Management, Inc. (IEM)
Managing Risk in a Complex World

8550 United Plaza Blvd.   Suite 501
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 526-8844 (phone)
(225) 952-8122 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Botterell [mailto:ABott@so.cccounty.us]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:50 PM
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org;
oasis-board-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Friends -

In the course of today's Emergency Management TC meeting a DHS
representative expressed the opinion that OASIS is under a contractual
obligations to expedite the processing of the IPAWS profile over and
above the OASIS TC Process.  As we've been unable to obtain a copy of
that contract, and considering that the numerous OASIS staff who were
taking an active part in our meeting didn't appear to contradict that
claim, I guess we have to assume that it's true.

Therefore I'm forced, reluctantly, to the conclusion that this process
is seriously compromised by conflicts of interest.  I have asked that my
name be removed from the list of editors of the IPAWS draft and I will
be considering whether renewing my agency's OASIS membership would be in
the best interests of the people of Contra Costa County.

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120