oasis-board-comment message

Subject: RE: [emergency] CAP-IPAWS Profile Specification Issues

That's a great question, Patti.  Obviously I was shocked to hear that claim made so bluntly.  However, since neither OASIS staff nor DHS representatives in the TC have seen their way clear to share that contract, and since the TC decided not to wait to see it via a FOIA request, I can't really answer it.

The complications, of course, are that the majority of TC members are themselves under DHS contracts and can't reasonably be expected to oppose their employer's vigorously expressed policy (in short, they're not necessarily "volunteers" in the sense you and I might use the term)... and that OASIS staff began today to take an active role in TC deliberations, not just answering procedural questions, but also expressing some fairly substantive opinions, which given their (alleged) contractual obligation again calls the notion of "a consortium of volunteers" into question, at least in my eyes.

- Art

>>> "Aymond, Patti" <Patti.Aymond@iem.com> 2/17/2009 11:00 AM >>>
Art,

I am so sorry that I was unable to attend today's meeting. I am hoping
that time will allow so that I can again be actively involved in EM
standards development in the very near future.

If you can forgive my having to observe this issue unfold from some
distance, I would like clarification on exactly how a consortium of
volunteers can be obligated contractually to any entity.

Any insights you or anyone else can provide is appreciated.

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist, Research & Development
Innovative Emergency Management, Inc. (IEM)
Managing Risk in a Complex World

8550 United Plaza Blvd.   Suite 501
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 526-8844 (phone)