oasis-board-comment message

Subject: RE: [emergency-sc] Re: [board-agenda] Proposed Changes to the Member Section Policy

Jeff,

Thank you for providing your explanation and rationale.  I can understand
the desire to bring "power to the people".  But that is not how OASIS
currently operates wrt rule making.

It appears that you are saying that for the MS "constitution" (ROP), the MS
members should make all decisions on their ROP, and their elected leaders
(StC) should no longer have the responsibility to approve modifications to
the ROP.  Yet when it comes to changes to the OASIS Members' "constitution"
(Bylaws, Policies), you support the OASIS Board making nearly all the
decisions on changes to the OASIS Bylaws and Policies - not the OASIS
Members.  Doesn't that strike you as non-consistent?  Just as OASIS Members
entrust the Board to make most changes to the OASIS Bylaws and Policies, why
can't the MS Members continue to entrust their StC to make changes to their
ROP?

<smile> Now, if you are also proposing that any three OASIS Members can put
forward proposed changes to the OASIS Bylaws or any Policy, and that after
30 days discussion on the oasis-member-discuss list, the proposed change is
put out for special majority vote by all OASIS Members, that would be an
appropriate parallel, companion change.  However, I'm not proposing that,
and I don't see the OASIS Board agreeing to such a change, nor would it be
feasible to expect to ever get 2/3rds of OASIS Voting members to even vote.
</smile>

Similarly, expecting 2/3rds of MS Members to have to vote on all ROP changes
- no matter how minor - is also not very feasible.

Also, is there any known problem that requires making the change of ROP
maintenance responsibility?

And if you are going to propose making a change in StC responsibility,
shouldn't the OASIS Board consult with the MS Steering Committees to gather
their input on such a significant proposed change?

I strongly urge the OASIS Board to NOT change the responsibilities of the
Steering Committee, wrt "maintain the ROP".

I support all proposed changes to the MS Policy in the PDF posted on the
board-agenda of 5/24, with the one modification to Line 179 to insert
"Steering Committee" before "Special Majority Vote".

Cheers,

Patrick