oasis-board-comment message

Subject: OASIS TGF TC STANDARD BALLOT

Board Members

You will be aware of the result of our recent Standard Ballot and the differences of opinion that have arisen during the ballot.  My TC intends to proceed with approving the specification as submitted  and has asked TC Admin to run a Special Majority Vote to approve the result in accordance with the TC Process guidelines.  However this should not in anyway be interpreted as us taking the concerns raised during the ballot lightly and being dismissive of them.  Indeed we recognised that the size of the No vote is one of the largest in recent OASIS Standards ballots and that is of concern to us, but many of the comments praised our work and the objections were more  about process than the content of the TGF.  The debate has not been of our choosing and we would rather the concerns were raised well before the ballot started and agreement reached on the rights and wrongs of the issues to avoid this conflict and any possible damage to the reputation of OASIS.

It was apparent to us from the very outset of the TC that the work products that we would be producing were of a different nature to the typical OASIS technical specifications, for example our use of Pattern Languages. We have done our best to work within the current guidelines and our very appreciative of TC Admin’s support and advice throughout our efforts.  However we do believe it appropriate for the Board to reflect on the outcome of our ballot and in particuler addresse the following aspects.  We are aware that Peter Brown intends to initiate a discussion at your next meeting and we would ask that you take the views of the TC into account during those discussions.

1.        Types of work products.  OASIS has traditionally focusssed on what can be generally regarded as technical specifications and is reknown for its work in that area.  However more and more the need for specifications and standards is moving up the stack and OASIS as an organisation needs to decide whether it wants to encompass these new types of work products or stick with what it knows best.  A clear statement of direction on this point should be issued to the membership and the wider general public.  If, as we recommend, the  Board embraces these new types of work products then all associated process guidelines need to be reviewed and amended to reflect the variety of work products that will inevitably be produced.

2.       Conformance Clauses.  During our ballot this was really the major point of contention and it boils down to a difference opinion of what constitutes an appropriate set of conformance clauses.  Much of that difference we believe is related to the different types of specifications.  What might be appropriate for a technical standard, where conformance can be tested according to black and white rules, is not necessarily the same for something like the TGF where the conformance requirements are less rigidely defined for a variety of reasons.  We recommend that the Board instigates a review of the current Conformance Clause guidelines and amends them as appropriate in the light of decisions made on point 1 above.

3.       Awareness and Education.  The consequences of embracing new work products and changing current guidelines will require an awareness campaign and for some aspects, eg conformance clauses, an education programme so that current and new members know how to interpret and use the new guidelines.

We are very happy to provide any assistance on these matters during your deliberations and subsequent reviews.

Respectfully yours,

John Borras

Chair OASIS TGF Technical Committee

m. +(0)44 7976 157745