oasis-board-comment message

Subject: Payments to Contractors 2006-2013 - Member Questions

Greetings!

Several times over the last year I have heard that OASIS doesn't have
funds for suggested additional benefits or services for members.

When Jim Hughes sent out the OASIS annual report this year, I decided
to see what OASIS is spending its money on.

- From agm-2013-audit-report.pdf:

Consultants and Related Expenses

2012 $327,055

2011 $379,827

- From agm-2012-audit-report.pdf,

Consultants and Related Expenses

2010 $227,715*

- From agm-2011-audit-report.pdf,

Consultants and Related Expenses

2010 $285,574*

2009 $258,516

- From agm-2010-audit-report.pdf,

Consultants and Related Expenses

2008 201,005**

- From agm-2009-audit-report.pdf,

Consultants and Related Expenses

2008 228,888**

2007 410,860

- From agm-2007-audit-report.pdf,

2006 457,795

The asterisks (* and **) for years 2008 and 2010 indicate different
amounts for consultants and related expenses in different annual reports.

Using the higher reported amounts, OASIS has spent *$2,348,515* on
consultants from 2006-2013.

Viewing those amounts against the Form 990 reports, which OASIS is
required to file with the US Internal Revenue Service:

Section B, Part VII of Form 990 reads:

"Complete this table for your five highest compensated independent
contractors that received more than $100,000 of compensation from the
organization Report compensation for the calendar year ending with
or within the organization's tax year."

I won't bore you with a form by form enumeration but in summary, the
table for Section B, Part VII for *Form 990 from 2008 - 2011 is blank.*

The 990 form changed for 2006, 2007 and the contractors should have
been listed in an attached document. Online source I used for the 990s
had some attachments but all I can say for sure is the independent
contractor attachments did not appear on those copies.

I assume the Board can request to see the original 990 forms to
satisfy itself with the correctness of Form 990s by OASIS.

In terms of a request to the Board, should further investigation by
the Board reveal that one or more contractors have exceeded $100,000
as per Section B, Part VII of Form 990, I would request as follows:

1) OASIS staff be directed by the Board to amend its prior Form 990
filings to correctly reflect payments to independent contractors.

2) OASIS staff be directed by the Board to post and list its amended
and future Form 990 filings on the OASIS website to enable public
access to those documents.

The Board's fact finding should resolve the Form 990 issue.

On the contractor issue in general, going forward I request that the
Board instruct OASIS staff to create a line item summary of every
independent contractor billing, listing the contractor's name, the
date of the billing, the activity covered by the billing and the
amount of the billing for inclusion in the OASIS Open Financial
Statements that are distributed to members every year.

The Form 990 issue is a question of whether the OASIS 990 forms were
correctly filed for the years in question.

The contractor issue is a question of informing members of OASIS
expenditures and activities.

As such a member, all I know now is that OASIS has spent $2,348,515 on
contractors between 2006-2013. I must confess that I haven't seen an
equivalent increase in member services or benefits.

As an "open" organization, members should have the information
necessary to voice their opinions about spending on their behalf.

My "requests" are just a lay person's view of the situation based on
incomplete information. I trust the Board will take appropriate action
based on more complete information, consistent with the OASIS promise
of openness, including perhaps greater contractor disclosure looking
backwards.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great weekend!

Patrick
- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau