oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: FW: Proposed charter for OASIS EKMI TC

The key words in the XKMS mission are "protocols for
distributing and registering *public* keys", Ken.  In
the initial implementation, EKMI is primarily focused
on key-management of *symmetric* keys with the Symmetric
Key-Management Services Markup Language (SKSML).

Over time, we do envision that EKMI will evolve to serve
public-keys too, and at that time, it is likely that the
EKMI-TC will use XKMS just as it uses XML Signature and
XML Encryption today.

I hope that addresses your question.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

Ken Laskey wrote:

----------------------
Subject: Fwd: [members] FW: Proposed charter for OASIS EKMI TC

     * From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
     * To: oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
     * Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:50:00 -0500

The proposed charter notes

 > The proposers are unaware of any similar work being carried on in
 > this exact area.  However, this TC intends to leverage the
 > products of, and seek liaison with, a number of other existing
 > projects that may interoperate with or provide functionality to the
 > EKMI TC's planned outputs, including:
 >
 > OASIS Web Services Security TC
 > W3C XMLSignature and XMLEncryption protocols and working group
 > OASIS Digital Signature Services TC
 > OASIS Public Key Infrastructure TC
 > OASIS XACML TC (and other methods for providing granular
 > access-control permissions that may be consumed or enforced by
 > symmetic key management)

However, it does not reference XML Key Management Specification (XKMS
2.0) which became W3C Recommendation 28 June 2005.  (See
http://www.w3.org/TR/xkms2/.)  The introduction of that Recommendation
notes, "This document specifies protocols for distributing and
registering public keys, suitable for use in conjunction with the
standard for XML Signatures [XML-SIG] defined by the World Wide Web
Consortium (W3C) and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and
companion standard for XML encryption [XML-ENC].  The XML Key Management
Specification (XKMS) comprises two parts -- the XML Key Information
Service Specification (X-KISS) and the XML Key Registration Service
Specification (X-KRSS)."

How does XKMS relate to the intended work?

Ken

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508