oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: Fw: [oasis-charter-discuss] EKMI Pre-Launch Teleconference

Thank you for your comments, Anthony.  I apologize for the delay
in responding but I had been traveling last week and am just now
getting caught up.  However, your comments were discussed in the
OASIS con-call and we are incorporating some of your suggestions
in the charter document.

For the record, I do want to respond to your comments on the forum,
so that you are aware of how we're addressing them.

It appears that I may not have explained the premise on which the
EKMI architecture and the SKSML protocol is based, and that would
explain the conclusion to which you have arrived.  I will attempt
to correct that error.

The architecture and protocol are based on the premise that a
company:

1) wants to define encryption policy centrally;
2) wants to manage symmetric keys centrally and uniformly; and
3) wants to optimize the TCO of such an infrastructure;

While there are many models that can meet these requirements, we
based the architecture of SKMS on that of Domain Name Service (DNS).

DNS, as I'm sure you're familiar with, requires that the namespace
and IP addresses be defined on centrally-managed DNS servers, and
that clients only query the nameservers for information.  DNS
clients do not add/update/delete nameservice information on the
servers (except within the limited scope of DHCP, which is but a
variation of the centralized policy definition and name-IP address
management principle); so their protocol is mostly limited to
querying the DNS server for name-service information.

The implementation requirements that we heard from customers were
that:

a) the server must do all the heavy-lifting of key-generation, key-
    management, access-control, etc.;
b) client applications must require minimal modifications to
    participate in this architecture and process;

Given these, while it is possible to have a client generate symmetric
keys and send it to a server for addition/update/deletion, it would
require far more of the client-application and of the security
infrastructure to trust such add/update/deletes from client devices.
Secondly, ensuring that all clients conform to policy would require
that all clients be continually updated to know of such policies and
when such policies are updated.

By having the server perform ALL the work wrt key-generation, policy
conformance and key-management, it simplifies client-requirements to
using just one call - that of requesting a symmetric key (new or
existing) and using that key within the policy-constraints embedded
inside each key (the SKSML protocol embeds a KeyUsePolicy inside each
symmetric key).  The server handles the rest.

Consequently, client applications in a Symmetric Key Management System
(SKMS) need only know how to request a key and where to request it from.
The Symmetric Key Client Library (SKCL) handles the rest - just like the
nameservice library in DNS handles all name-resolution activties for all
applications on a machine.

WRT to your comments in the scope section:

1) The "space" in which the SKSML protocol will be used is between
    any client and server that needs symmetric key-management services
    in any domain.  The need for asymmetric key-management services are
    currently addressed by IETF-PKIX protocols and are not within scope
    of the EKMI charter;

2) Sending of keys TO the server is not within the initial scope of
    this TC, given the premise described earlier.  However, as the TC
    addresses the initial problem and evolves, business requirements
    from constituents may expand the scope to address sending keys to
    the server;

3) Yes, the interoperability test suite is a compliance suite;

4) WRT scope item D, this TC has heard business requirements from
    customers that would like to see implementation, operational and
    audit guidelines for building, operating and auditing EKMI
    infrastructures for compliance to specific regulations such as
    PCI-DSS (as an example).  This TC intends to create papers that
    provide such guidelines for implementing and operating EKMI's.
    WRT the audit requirements, it is the intention of this TC to
    work cooperatively with organizations such as ISACA to create
    audit guidelines that would be used by auditors to audit EKMI
    infrastructures.

WRT timelines, the original draft of this charter was written up in
August; the timelines are being revised to recognize the passage of
time to create this TC.

The EKMI-TC will have a liaison relationship with the WS-Trust TC.
I have already addressed the XKMS question in response to Phillip
Hallam-Baker's comments on this forum.

I trust the above helps clarify some of the confusion that may have
been caused by the charter.  We anticipate writing up use-cases as
part of the documentation produced by the TC to further clarify how
and where the SKSML protocol may be used.

Regards,

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.