oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Comments on DSS-X TC Proposed Charter

I have three comments/suggestions.

(1) Section (1)(d) - Under candidate new profiles - what is item e,
"baseline" profiles? The term (and its quotation marks) is not defined.

(2) Section (2)(b) I presume that the first meeting is a phone meeting,
but it doesn't say (except implicitly by not having a location, only a
time zone).

(3) It's fairly clear that this is a continuation of much of the
unfinished work of the DSS TC, however the response in section (2)(a)
doesn't seem to answer the question posed.

I understand the relationship between the late DSS TC and much of the
listed work, but in some areas DSS-X is a consumer and in others a
provider -- the relationships are not clear from the draft charter
response.

Also, "why ..is [there] a need for another effort in this area"? I would
suggest something along the lines of "The work of the DSS TC requires
ongoing maintenance and enhancement to fully exploit Digital Signatures
within OASIS and the world at large. This central role of packaging and
profiling use of base standards (e.g. W3C XML signature. etc, etc) for
convenient and consistent use by (e.g., list of OASIS and other
TCs/Groups consuming the technology) will be continued by the DSS-X
TC."  Classifying the list would be more direct, and the preamble would
make understanding the purpose and need easier.

bill cox

William Cox
Cox Software Architects LLC
wtcox@CoxSoftwareArchitects.com