oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-charter-discuss] Questions about the SCA J TC Proposed Charter

Hi Robin,
    Thanks for catching this. I think the answer is actually quite
simple and avoids the various pitfalls which you so ably describe.

    We had meant to remove the Java(tm) reference in the title. I
guess you can never have too many eyes reviewing proposed text.

   I believe that the issue will be resolved simply by appropriate
renaming. To be consistent we will change the name of all the
language specific TC's to be something like: Service Component
Architecture/<lang> (SCA/<lang>) Technical Committee
     e.g. SCA/J, SCA/BPEL, SCA/C-C++

  Descriptive material, specifications, etc. can refer to trademarks
(kind of like fair use), as long as it is appropriately attributed. A
search through lots of OASIS documents will turn up lots of
references to trademarks, although many don't have the "foo is a
trademark of bar" (an oversight i presume). Hence I don't think we
need to do anything more than fix the long and short names.

   It might be worth raising an issue (with TC Process committee I
guess) to look into whether clarifying material needs to be added to
the Process document, staff procedures, etc. to require that
trademarks have appropriate attribution.

   Please let me know if you don't think this will resolve the issue.
      cheers,
      jeff

--
Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Web Services Standards	+1(650)