oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] Reference re: proposed Open Reputation Management Systems (ORMS) TC

From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 4:07 PM
To: OASIS Charter Discuss List
Cc: Robin Cover
Subject: [oasis-charter-discuss] Reference re: proposed Open Reputation

See:

=====

http://dy-verse.blogspot.com/2008/02/openid-reputation-framework-service
.html

Thursday, February 14, 2008
OpenID Reputation Framework Service
Parashuram Narasimhan

Hey,

A few days ago, I had written about a reputation management service [1],
and how [2] it could be applied to blogspot. I was peering over OASIS
when I came across a presentation on Open Reputation Management
System(ORMS).

The main charter of ORMS seems to prepare a framework so that reputation
of users or devices and services can easily be shared across different
websites. The proposal talked about using OpenID or SAML to enable
reputation sharing.

The details of the OpenID reputation system [3] talks about using OpenID
as a means to share reputation. The proposal is not very detailed and
talks about a url that can be used to fetch the reputation of a certain
user. I found some issues and thought of posting my ideas in this blog.

   http://some.reputation.service/reputation_score?xri_subject_entity

The URL returns REST data containing the reputation of a person. For
privacy reasons, there could be restrictions of the people who can fetch
the reputation of the subject entities. The Trusted Data exchange [4]
talks of a OpenID Provider using a reputation as a service, and hence,
access management as to who sees the reputation can be implemented.
Also, websites could return a JSON version of the REST response so that
plugins can easily work with the reputation.

Secondly, I did not see any easy mechanism for a user to rate any
person. If this was also a REST call, submission of reputations would be
easier.

However, the most interesting thing that I would like to see in the
proposal is the categorization and taxonomy of reputations. This is a
problem many companies are trying to solve, and a standard around this
would go a long way in interoperability. I am still waiting for someone
to put up a reputation service so that I could trust the blogger
reputation plugin [5] that I wrote.

[1]
http://dy-verse.blogspot.com/2007/11/sezwho-analysis-of-identity-based.h
tml