oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] Re: Proposed Charter for OASIS SET TC

William,

I think the two are vastly different!  Apples and Oranges - both fruit - but there the similarities end.

Not sure you saw my message on alignment with current OASIS CAM work and SET?  That I believe is instructive - especially the NIEM.gov work and the wantlist concepts around implementing CONTEXT.

We should have the version of jCAM updated by Thursday to include the ability to generate wantlists and apply them from any XSD schema - so you can see these ideas working.

I've included below the core statement from XDI - which IMHO leads back to the original DOCUMENT-centric work on providing global identifiers to content - sort of uber-wikipedia concept - of interconnected knowledge.

What we're talking about is optimizing business exchanges and the semantic alignment of those - so that interoperability is achieved more easily than today.  The references out from those exchanges is thus to semantic definitions (typically in a registry such as ebXML registry provides).

Thanks, DW

<snip>
to define a simple, generalized format and protocol for sharing, linking, and synchronizing data over the Internet and other data networks using XRIs (Extensible Resource Identifiers), a URI-compatible scheme for abstract structured identifiers defined by the OASIS XRI Technical Committee. The overall goal of XDI is to enable data from any data source to be addressed and linked into a machine-readable "dataweb" just as content from any content source can be addressed and linked into the human-readable Web today.
</snip>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] Re: Proposed Charter for OASIS SET
TC
From: "Barnhill, William CTR USAF AFMC AFRL/RIGA"
<William.Barnhill.ctr@rl.af.mil>
Date: Tue, May 13, 2008 12:41 pm
To: <oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: "Barnhill,  William [USA]" <barnhill_william@bah.com>

Hi,

This looks fascinating, but wouldn't there be a lot of overlap with XRI
Data Interchange Technical Committee (XDI TC)? XDI is developing a
mechanism that may achieve all of the goals of the charter as I
understood it, at first pass. I haven't done a write up of a detailed
comparison yet though. I'd like to first provide the XDI charter for
reading
( http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xdi/charter.php ) and request one
of the SET TC sponsors to let me know how to end-goals are different
from XDI?

Thanks,
Bill Barnhill
Booz Allen Hamilton