oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] RAND for Requirements?

Title: Re: [oasis-charter-discuss] RAND for Requirements?

Hi Patrick,

I don’t know how one could imply that OASIS is deceiving some companies, by having TCs in OASIS TMS based on RAND. I think we would rather be deceiving them by trying to convince them that it does not matter that the IPR-mode is different than RAND.

Ultimately, long-standing OASIS members have to decide whether they want to attract or not more participation from Telco operators and vendors as members. I think you will agree that such participation at the moment is very low. So the same long-standing OASIS members have to decide whether it is more important to stand behind the prevalent IPR policies in other OASIS TC (e.g. RF-based), or it is more important to find ways to entice such companies that prefer to work under RAND.

I would defer the RAND vs. non-RAND debates in OASIS TC until more participation in OASIS is secured – otherwise you make it a gating factor that will dissuade many to join.

Best regards,

Michael

From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:28 PM
To: Barbir, Abbie (CAR:1A14)
Cc: oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

Abbie,

Abbie Barbir wrote:
> Patrick
> RAND is a common mode of operation for Telecom industry.
> This has nothing to do with marketing, it only has to do with allowing
> Telecom providers to operate in SDO using the same environment that they
> are used to.

RAND is an *uncommon* mode at OASIS, although clearly permitted.

Perhaps we have different definitions of *marketing* if "allowing
Telecom providers to operate in SDO using the same environments that
they are used to" isn't marketing.

Quite frankly I would not deceive even a Telecom provider in order to
get them to participate in OASIS.

The work product of the TC appears to not be subject to RAND in any
meaningful way.

If it were, that would have been your first response.

So, let's simply tell the Telecom providers the truth, that RAND is
meaningless for requirements and by extension for this TC.

Unless there is some problem with truth telling as a strategy?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick