oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: eMIX: Comments from non-OASIS member

There was one comment made privately by a non-OASIS member on this charter. I'm forwarding to oasis-charter-discuss.

First the context referred to in the comment:

I am sorry I can not support this, as I discussed with you and Toby via email previously.

You continue to include this statement:

Price and characteristics of energy are not necessarily simple. Retail markets typically have simple actionable information, in large measure because the retail markets combined with distribution are defined with clear and specific prices”

Which I have a problem with. Retail prices as provided to the customer tend to be simple and actionable, but the development of that “simple price” is anything but simple. All the factors that you describe go into a retail price as well as in many cases some very complex formulas that are agreed to by the regulator both for regulated and unregulated markets.

The statement needs to change before I can support this. I suspect many utilities will have an issue with this as well, again as I pointed out in prior private emails.

The comment:

I agree with [the previous] point of view. The business practices that comprise a Demand Response program, including dynamic pricing, are non-trivial and require thorough research. As with any good software design you need to know the business requirements and problem space before you invent a technical standard/solution. If you invent a technical solution without an adequate understanding of the "problem space" then you run the risk of producing a standard that dies on the vine from lack of adoption. Let's get the requirements documented/understood then move into the design/development of technical standards and avoid a ready, fire, aim approach.

bill cox
--
William Cox
Email: wtcox@CoxSoftwareArchitects.com