oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: TC name in Proposed Charter for OASIS Biometric Open Protocol (BOPS) TC

Alternatively you could just drop the "S" and leave it as BOP.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org> wrote:
OASIS Charter Discuss List <oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>

TC name in Proposed Charter for OASIS Biometric Open Protocol (BOPS) TC

Minor comment on the BOPS TC name as proposed -- actually, a comment from earlier OASIS Staff conversations that got lost in the weeds or fell through the cracks...

The currrent proposal [1] suggests (1)(a) a TC name:

OASIS Biometric Open Protocol (BOPS) TC

Our observation is that the acronym BOPS contains "S", but the remaining portion of the TC name provides no clue as to what "S" stands for in the acronym expansion.  People will wonder what "S" means, and they will (variably) then invent some candidate, and promulgate variant name elements for "S".  The referent of "S" needs to be clear in the TC name itself.

I think it would be acceptable to change the name to:

OASIS Biometric Open Protocol Specification (BOPS) TC

That name asserts that the TC is working on a "specification" which is an open "protocol" for biometrics.

Another theoretical possibility for "S" would be "Standard", but I don't think the term "Standard" is appropriate in a TC name.  That has proven problelmatic in a couple cases where we have experience.  Ideally, in any SSO/SDO "Working Group" or "Technical Committee" or "Working Party", the goal may be to develop, advance, and approve a specification to the highest level of maturity.  But in OASIS, as elsewhere, "Standard" in a label/attribute assigned to a specification  --  Not a qualifier for a TC (embedded in a TC name).

Thanks for consideration on this comment.

- Robin

--
Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services