oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Draft charter for OASIS Biometric Open Protocol (BOPS) TC

To OASIS and interested parties in biometric technology and standardization:

We appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback on the draft charter of the proposed BOPS TC.  NIST is heavily involved in the work of the OASIS Biometrics TC and the ISO/IEC JTC1 Subcommittee 37 on Biometrics, working alongside the biometric companies, consumers, researchers, and testing labs in this space.  As a member of both organizations, we would like to provide our own observations and questions regarding the proposed new TC.
  •        We would like to draw your attention to the comments and the work of both ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 37 and the OASIS Biometrics TC to help inform the needs of the proposers of the new BOPS TC. These are two key fora where biometric experts convene and develop standards that are being adopted globally.
  • ​      The description of the new TC is broad. As proposed, this new TC would collide with existing work in ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 37 and potentially the OASIS Biometrics TC and ISO/IEC JTC 1 Subcommittee  27 (IT security techniques). The information provided does not identify a standards gap that is going to be filled by starting a new committee.
  •       We believe that technical standards have the best chance for success when developed by experts and other stakeholders.  Whenever possible, we advise starting new standards projects in committees where the experts are already convening and that have a track record for developing standards that are being used in the marketplace.
  •       OASIS has a proven track record for producing successful international standards.
    •       In addition, OASIS is an ISO/IEC JTC 1 PAS submitter, which provides a fast track pathway to produce ISO standards from OASIS, that can be used to remove barriers to trade if that is needed for global acceptance (depending upon the policies or laws of other countries or regions that may use products or services conforming to the standard).
    •      We do not know of a compelling reason to start joint projects with another standards organization for the proposed work (as opposed to utilizing liaison statements or other similar tools), which introduces complexity and can increase the time to produce a standard. If there is reason, the other standards body should have a track record for producing successful standards in the technical area of interest (in this case, biometric authentication) and participants who are experts in the technical area of the standards project(s).
    •       Similarly, there should be a compelling reason for OASIS to ask another standards body to adopt their work.  If there is reason, the other standards body should have a track record for producing successful standards in the technical area of interest (in this case, biometric authentication) and participants who are experts in the technical area of the standards project(s).
In summary, a better description and scope of the proposed project and its relationship to relevant biometrics standards (published and under development) is needed.  Then, placement of any new work should consider the two existing major fora for biometrics standards work (OASIS Biometrics TC and JTC 1 SC 37) or possibly JTC 1 SC 27 if the project work is intended to focus on security.

Please let us know if you would like to discuss our comments further.

Kind regards,

Mary Brady

NIST, Primary Contact
Information Technology Laboratory