oasis-charter-discuss message

Subject: Re: [EXT] RE: [oasis-charter-discuss] Fwd: Comment log & updated Cybersecurity Standards User Council charter {UNCLASS/REL:PUB/dig sigd}

Great points Peter.

Bret

From: oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org <oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Peter F Brown <peter@peterfbrown.com>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:37:08 AM
To: Chet Ensign; OASIS Charter Discuss List

Hi all,

Thanks for this.

Three quick comments:

  • I will not be able to join *all* of the call later today but should be there for the first half an hour or so
  • I would like my name to be added as an initial proposer

I do have a more substantive comment: there is currently no class of entity within OASIS called a User Council nor am I aware of how this will be established. From the draft charter it seems this is being scoped as a technical committee with all the rules that apply except that it is not developing any standards deliverables. As such, I am a little concerned that the IPR mode chosen (in fact, any IPR mode) is potentially problematic: under normal rules, anything submitted to the committee by members is a Contribution and the IPR mode would thus apply.

My question therefore is: can we amend the draft so that the Charter states explicitly that as the User Council is not scoped to produce any standards deliverable, nothing shared with it will constitute a Contribution as defined by the OASIS IPR Policy? In this case, an IPR mode would not be necessary. If this User Council were established as an OASIS Member Section, these issues would not arise.

Best regards,

Peter

cid:image001.jpg@01CE0F64.C0141190

Peter Brown

Certified Privacy professional (CIPT)

Member, Institute of Directors

Peter F Brown Consulting BVBA

Registered in Belgium RPR 0654.960.925 Antwerpen

Governance – Strategy – Engagement

www.PeterFBrown.com