oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] Membership and Public Review of OASIS Artifact Standard Identification Scheme for Metadata

The lack of support for hyphens is troubling. Currently they are the only
punctuation character supported in DNS names, and one of a handful of
unreserved punctuation characters allowed in URIs. With XRIs we have found
that hyphens and dots are the two most attractive logical separator
characters from the standpoint of human readability given that spaces are
not allowed.

=Drummond
Co-chair, XRI TC
http://xri.net/=drummond.reed

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Robinson [mailto:ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:24 AM
To: oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Christopher B Ferris; martin.chapman@ORACLE.COM; paul.knight@nortel.com;
Eric.Newcomer@iona.com; robin@oasis-open.org
Subject: [oasis-member-discuss] Membership and Public Review of OASIS
Artifact Standard Identification Scheme for Metadata

The WS-TX TC suspended consideration of transaction protocol messages for a
while today to discuss hyphens.

We have an existing TC Root on the new document server being used for
predictable (and persistent) URIs:
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/

The recommendation of the draft ASIS document is to use a TC tree root of
"wstx" rather than "ws-tx".
The TC decided that, given the draft status of the ASIS document,  we will
continue to use our existing root with the hyphen for now.

The WS-TX TC requests the TAB to consider a change to the ASIS document
section. Currently, it states in section 8.2:
8.2 Technical Committee Tree
The short name of the OASIS technical committee, as established by the TC
Administrator, typically upon initial formation, MUST be the next node in
the URI after the base:
docs.oasis-open.org/[tcShortName]

where, earlier in the document is a definition:
"The short name assigned by the TC Administrator to the Technical
Committee, with any hyphens eliminated."

The WS-TX TC would like section 8.2 to remove the requiement to eliminate
any hyphen from the tcShortName that follows "docs.oasis-open.org/" in
persistent URI schemes.

Regards,
Ian Robinson
STSM, WebSphere Messaging and Transactions Architect
IBM Hursley Lab, UK
ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com