oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] Possible change to TC voting rules - input requested

I'm in favor of some change to the current rules. I *have* participated
in TCs with significant levels of "member packing" and it has the
following problems:

1.) It is unfair. Only the biggest organizations have the resources to
pay people to do nothing but sit on concalls and vote.

2.) It is escalatory. Once one organization packs a TC, other
organizations are compelled to follow suite to "keep things even". This
"member packing arms race" is a drain on resources that could be more
productively applied elsewhere.

3.) It is contrary to the whole notion of "everybody participates,
everybody votes". The packees aren't there to participate, they are just
there to vote.

What I'd like to know is why people think that changing the voting rules
will effect TCs that don't have member packing? If you're not
participating in the TC for the sole purposes of voting, why should
having to share your vote with other (1 or 2) members of your
organization discourage you from participating?

- gp