oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] OASIS namespace documents for URN namespaces

Paul:
I think the objective is laudable but I don't see the point of the
"http://www.oasis-open.org/namespace?ns="; part of the statement. Surely,
if some application wants to do something with the "pure" (and on its
own non-deferenceable) urn, then surely it will ba equipped to make that
call using http get or whatever.

By effectively tying a namespace to a derefereceable network endpoint
and to specific and prescribed dereferencing mechanism, is there not a
danger that you:
- either limit what can be legitimately found at the network endpoint to
an RDDL file only, cutting out other possible uses of the namespace;
- or creating false expectations and possible architectural problems
when unpredictable results come from finding something other than a RDDL
document at the end of the pipe.

On the other hand, I'd be in favour of a mechanism by which RDDL
documents, when available, can be accessed using a prescribed OASIS
managed URL to which you would tack the namespace urn.

Regards,

Peter

-------------
Peter F Brown