oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] OASIS namespace documents for URN namespaces

>Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
>Peter
>
>You lost me here:
>
>Peter F Brown wrote:
>> you shouldn't find anything at the end of a URI that purports to be an
identifier except, well,
> > something that helps identify the artefact being referenced.
> > An RDDL document is not an identifier - it is a resource descriptor;
>
>I'm not a great theoretician, but it seems to me that sticking RDDL+HTML
>as the content dereferenced by an identifier URI is really useful. You
>say its not the only thing that could be dereferenced. I agree - the
>most common thing dereferenced from an identifier URI is a 404 Not Found
>HTML :-)
>
>But seriously:
>
>1) Can you please give an example of something better or more
>appropriate than a RDDL?

I would not want to characterize it as either "something better" or
"something more appropriate", but it's worth mentioning an XRDS (Extensible
Resource Descriptor Sequence) document, defined by the OASIS XRI TC. It's
specifically designed for lightweight service discovery, and in addition to
being the format used by XRI resolution, it's also the format used by Yadis
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yadis) and OpenID (www.openid.net). Details
are in the current Working Draft of XRI Resolution 2.0:

Http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24286/xri-resolution-v2.0-
wd-11-ed-02.doc

=Drummond

>2) Can you explain how I can get better information about the meaning of
>a URN than I get from a well written HTML+RDDL document?

An XRDS document isn't going to give you "better information", just
additional information.

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)

>Thanks
>Paul
>

>> ==================

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNaming.ht
ml

>> These guidelines include recommendation that namespace URIs be HTTP
scheme URIs and that there
>> be a published RDDL document at the namespace URI location. URNs are
permitted for use, but HTTP
>> scheme URIs are preferred/recommended since they can be resolved without
additional machinery. Note
>> that OASIS hs no plans to implement such a resolution mechanism:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNamingCom
mentaryV07.html#urnResolution

>> An example of these guidelines in action can be found with the WS-RX TC's
WS-RM namespace URI:
>>         http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-rx/wsrm/200702
>>
>> Frankly, I don't personally see any material benefit to use of a URN
scheme namespace. I suspect that
>> some believe that by using a URN, they have created a 'permanent
identifier'. Well, frankly, there is no
>> reason why an HTTP scheme URI cannot be 'permanent'. It isn't as if OASIS
is going to drop off the face of

>>> www.XMLbyStealth.net