oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-member-discuss] OASIS namespace documents for URN namespaces

RDDL does not help identify; it helps describe and in a highly context specific way

Peter

From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 18 June 2007 17:42
To: Peter F Brown
Cc: oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org; robin.cover@oasis-open.org

Peter, you wrote:

> I would argue, always have argued, that you shouldn't find anything
> at the end of a URI that purports to be an identifier except, well,
> something that helps identify the artefact being referenced.

If a RDDL isn't someting that helps identify the artefact identified, when that artefact is a namespace,
then I don't know what it is.

A namespace is an abstraction. It has an identifier. A namespace is NOT a schema document. I might
have multiple 'schema' that each are legitimate means of validating a document that includes
elements and attributes for a given namespace (e.g. XML Schema, RNG, Schematron, DTD, etc.)
They may be isomorphic or complimentary in nature.

Having a namespace document (RDDL) available as the resource retrieved when you dereference
the namespace URI helps 'identify the artefact' that is referenced by that URI. In the case of the
namespace documents that have been designed for OASIS specs, the informative value is increased by
virtue of the fact that the specifications which define the semantics of the namespace components
are also linked and the namespace versioning policy is provided.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com