oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-member-discuss] RESEND - Re: [oasis-member-discuss] Proposed Submission of OASIS WS-Security v1.1 to ITU

The only counter argument might be the free-of-charge availability of ITU specs, but I assume that the OASIS document will also be updated to align with the eventual JTC1 version and will also retain free availability.

Howard Mason (via Blackberry)
Corporate IT Office
Tel: +44 1252 383129
Mob: +44 780 171 3340
Eml: howard.mason@baesystems.com

BAE Systems plc
Registered Office: 6 Carlton Gardens, London, SW1Y 5AD, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1470151

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Mischkinsky <jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com>
To: Jamie Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>; oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org <oasis-member-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: Paul C Lipton <paul.lipton@ca.com>; Hiroshi Yoshida <hyoshida@jp.fujitsu.com>; Joel J. Fleck <joel.fleck@hp.com>; Kelvin Lawrence <klawrenc@us.ibm.com>; Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>; Jeff Mischkinsky <jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com>; Mark Little <mlittle@redhat.com>; Claus von Riegen <claus.von.riegen@sap.com>; Blake Dournaee <Blake.Dournaee@intel.com>
Sent: Fri Apr 02 01:24:30 2010

                    *** WARNING ***

  This message has originated outside your organisation,

[ sorry, i hit the send before finishing the signatures, left off
Intel ]
We, the undersigned, strongly support the submission of WS-Security
1.1 for de-jure standardization. We note that WS-I previously
submitted several of its profiles (the WS-Basic Profiles) to JTC 1 via
the JTC 1 PAS Transposition Process. These profiles have now been
adopted as ISO/IEC International Standards.

We believe that the Web Services community will be best served if the
OASIS Web Services specifications are submitted in a way that they can
be reviewed and processed consistently in the same de-jure
organization; in particular, we believe that an organization directly
focused on web services, and which can appropriately work with other
domain/topic-specific groups, is the most appropriate approach.  We
see advantages in submitting them to either ITU-T SG17 (because of the
telecommunication security and identity management concerns) or JTC 1
SC 38 (because of the web services focus), but believe that WS-
Security 1.1 should be submitted to JTC 1, and as decisions are
reached to submit further OASIS Web Services specifications, JTC 1 SC
38 should continue to be the recipient.

OASIS has successfully submitted other OASIS Standards to JTC 1 using
the PAS Transposition Process while retaining technical ownership of
their evolution. This need not preclude collaboration with ITU-T to
make WS-Security a component of security standards suite.

We note that the OASIS Liaison policy (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php
) contains an option that the "OASIS President may approve the request
with changes to the proposed submission method, schedule or designated
receiving organization".
[See section 3.4, "Policy for submitting OASIS Standards for adoption
by other organizations"]

We would like to respectfully request that the submission request be
approved and that the receiving organization be JTC 1.

Once JTC 1 receives the submission request from OASIS, it should be
able to start the PAS Transposition Process (which includes a 6-month
ISO/IEC national body letter ballot) within a few weeks.

We also recommend that JTC 1 assign administrative responsibility for
this PAS Transposition to the newly created JTC 1 SC 38(Distributed
Application Platforms and Services - DAPS).
  [See  http://www.iso.org/iso/standards_development/technical_committees/other_bodies/iso_technical_committee.htm?commid=601355
]

Sincerely,

       Paul Lipton, CA                  (paul.lipton@ca.com)
       Hiroshi Yoshida, Fujitsu Limited (hyoshida@jp.fujitsu.com)
       Joel Fleck, HP                   (joel.fleck@hp.com)
       Blake Dournaee, Intel            (Blake.Dournaee@intel.com)
       Kelvin Lawrence, IBM             (klawrence@us.ibm.com)
       Paul Cotton, MS                  (paul.cotton@microsoft.com)
       Jeff Mischkinsky, Oracle         (jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com)
       Mark Little, Red Hat             (mlittle@redhat.com)
       Claus Von Riegen, SAP            (claus.von.riegen@sap.com)

--
Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Sr. Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware 				+1(650)506-1975