oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Request for mercurial or git distributed VCS

Dear colleagues,

I was pleased to hear recently that OASIS is now offering svn as a
Version Control System (VCS).
This is a good thing and will benefit spec artifact management in a more
open and collaborative manner.
The result will be better specs done faster and with all the
transparency that they deserve.

I have one big followup wish though...

svn was great several years back but today it is quite limiting a choice
now that
distributed VCS such as Mercurial (aka hg) and git (used by the Linux
project) are mature and stable.

The benefits of mercurial or git are huge over svn. Here is a nice
article on mercurial that explains the benefits:

http://hginit.com/index.html

Not many TC projects even know that svn is available yet. So please
could OASIS consider changing to (or providing as an alternative)
mercurial or git VCS. I would be glad to help OASIS staff with any
mercurial related questions offline if that will improve the chances of
getting my wish.

Earlier OASIS granted me my wish to offer JIRA for issue tracking (thank
you!). I hope that I will get lucky again and OASIS will offer mercurial
or git very soon.
Note that I would consider the benefits of mercurial or git over svn to
out-weigh any benefits of tigher integration between JIRA and svn.

OASIS staff please feel free to contact me on or off this list if you
would like to discuss this suggestion in more detail. Thank you for your
consideration.

--
Regards,
Farrukh