oasis-member-discuss message

Subject: Re: [oasis-member-discuss] Request for mercurial or git distributedVCS

I have sent a link on advantages earlier:

  http://hginit.com/index.html

As for the cost of migration, I would need to know what is the current investment by OASIS. From an install base standpoint I am not aware of any TCs that have started using svn (there may be a limited few). From an infrastructure standpoint the main issue is integration with OASIS identity management. If someone can tell me what its based on I can try and offer an assessment of migration cost.

I have a bit of history with this sort of request and OASIS. I suggested they offer a wiki long time back and after much deliberation MoinMoin Wiki was provided (not one that I had suggested).

I suggested they offer JIRA for issue tracking and they thought it would be too much work. So the RegRep TC stood up our own external JIRA. Within days of that external JIRA being setup OASIS offered every TC a JIRA.

I suggested they offer svn several years back. I am glad they offer it now but times have changed and items have shifted during flight.

I am hoping that we could avoid that sort of experience again. SVN is basically a dead or dying tool and to get invested in it now is of dubious merit in my opinion.

Is there any one else besides me who sees the value of OASIS offering mercurial or git instead of or in addition to svn?
If so now would be a good time to be heard.

Thanks.