oasis-public-discuss message

Subject: RE: [oasis-public-discuss] Problem with schemas.xmlsoap.org

Hi Jeremy,

I am curious about what kinds of constraints would force you to depend on real-time lookup of schema and WSDL.

Even if you are dependent on the published version of WSDL that reference an online schema, you could always maintain a local cache mapping schema namespaces, or even remote locations, to local instances. From my experience most parsers support this kind of configuration. We do it with DTDs, although I admit this specific problem hasn't come up in a schema related scenario yet.

The cost of being dependent on an external resource that is out of your control just seem so extreme - for that reason the product I work on is tested in a disconnected scenario (all connections outside of the test network are blocked) in order to ensure that we have not accidentally built in a dependency on a 3rd party system (sadly, easy to do when nearly every library and tool uses XML and configures its own parser behaviour).

If you really have no choice but to allow run-time schema resolution, perhaps you should consider setting up a local server for the most common ones. A local DNS entry could coerce your application into using the local server instead of the real one, and you could be confident that its contents would not change over time.

If your scenario is truly exceptional, I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list who would be interested to learn more about it. You might be surprised to find out that someone else has dealt with it before and can suggest a resolution.

Cheers,

Erik

From: Jeremy Bauer [mailto:jrbauer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: April 28, 2006 4:20 PM
To: oasis-public-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

Greetings.

Does anyone out there know who does site administration for schemas.xmlsoap.org?  We have some code that is based off old drafts of WS-* specifications.  On of them being:  http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/2004/11/wsrf-WS-BaseFaults-1.2-draft-03.xsd.  Those specifications use the 2004/08 addressing schema from schemas.xmlsoap.org.  The problem is the schemaLocation defined in the WS-* xsd for that schema (http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing)now returns an HTML document instead of the XSD.  This was changed very recently.  This is causing some severe problems for us.

Any help tracking down someone to help is much appreciated!

P.S. - We are based on the published WSDLs & XSDs so we cannot change them.  Please don't suggest that as an option.  :-)

// Jeremy Bauer
// eServer Software Development
// IBM Rochester, MN
// jrbauer@us.ibm.com  (507) 253-6140