obix-xml message

Subject: RE: [oBIX-xml] RE: [obix-req] Firewall traversal use cases

Title: Message

>> In a homogeneous control network, there is no need for oBIX

 I think this misses something. oBIX is building controls to the Enterprise, which is different from Enterprise-wide Building Controls.  There is a wealth of enterprise interactions out there that require several salient features of oBIX whether or not the control network is homogenous.

1)       Abstraction: Can we give the Enterprise User, who is not a trained engineer, a cohesive, coherent dashboard on the controls world.

2)       Boxing: (or occlusion, or...) Can we hide functions that are entirely appropriate g for the maintenance guys, and for the integrators to do, but not appropriate for the Enterprise to do. I don't want the SAP accountants getting access to loop tuning.

3)       A preference for a common taxonomy across systems (this is similar to (1) but I wanted to say it aloud) - this should come out of the best practices.

If we accomplish 1-3 properly, than interoperability between heterogeneous controls will come automatically.  An advantage will be that boxing and abstraction will simplify inter-system integration, even if the two systems use the same protocols.

Tc

"The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil." -- Thomas Alva Edison

Toby Considine
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC