obix-xml message

Subject: RE: [obix-xml] outOfService

Aaron asked this question in the context of the working document.
There is already a state for inService/active it is called "ok"
per section 2.8.  The question is given the terms "ok", "overridden",
"outOfService",and "fault" - does it make sense to rename "outOfService"
to "disabled".  Aaron and I think yes because it is a more generic
term and more easily understood.

-----Original Message-----
From: Radford, William (MN10) [mailto:William.Radford@Honeywell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 12:11 PM
To: obix-xml@lists.oasis-open.org

Aaron,

	Usually this state is entered due to some operator (Building
Control) action based on knowledge of the condition of the application,
sensor or actuator and generally has the effect of preventing a control
algorithm from using or manipulating the value. It does not always indicate
whether the value is good or bad. For instance, the flag could be set
because a sensor is malfunctioning (current value is bad). In other cases
the building operator may not want a particular device to participate in a
control algorithm.(current value is good but not used or effected by
control).

	I believe that we will also need a flag that indicates the quality
of the delivered value (good or bad). This will probably be much more useful
for an Enterprise Developer.

	I also like positive tag names for flags. Some positive tags could
be: "InService", "Active", "Enabled". I would prefer to stay with
"InService" because it more accurately reflects the actual condition.

	Each of these terms is more or less meaningful depending on the
application the enterprise developer is creating. Somebody attempting to
create a Maintenance package, for instance, is more likely to understand the
meaning of "InService". Developers creating a linkage to a financial package
may be more likely to understand "Active" or "Enabled". I suspect we will
not be able to satisfy everyone.

	Bill Radford