obix-xml message

Subject: RE: [obix-xml] Power Systems Group

I like a bunch of domain-specific services.  The security guys want a service for CCTV so they can easily expose pan, tilt and zoom operations.  These don't belong in the current set of specs and read/write won't cut it, especially if complex arguments are needed.

On the other hand, could these be generically handled by an action/command service?

Sorry about all the email today, this is the last one.
Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Richards, Dave [mailto:drichards@trane.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 1:44 PM
To: obix-xml@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: RichardCHarwell@eaton.com

This brings up a big question that we haven't really considered yet (to my
knowledge).

Do we want to have a bunch of domain-specific services like this or do we
want to try to include everything in the basic services?  Even if there is a
serparate set of services, the same data would still be accessible through
the basic read.  What is the case for duplication?  Can some sort of
canonical naming scheme for use with the basic read be as effective as
specific services?  Is that even necessary?

Perhaps we need a joint meeting with the Power Systems SC to discuss the
direction we want to go on this?  That way we'll have a policy when the next
domain-specific group starts up.

The operations listed in the referenced doc can for the most part be done
with the basic read operation or the TBD history service.  The possible
exception is the request_peak_energy function.  Request_peak_energy just
isn't clear to me, but there seem to be calculations involved based on the
"timewindow" parameter, so I don't know if it fits the basic model or not.

Dave Richards

http://oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix-power/download.php/10200/OBIX%
20Power%20System%20services.doc

On a slightly related note:
Some think of us as the HVAC group and that we should also be developing
higher level functions similiar to these.  My/our plate is full, is anyone
willing to head up an HVAC sig for this purpose?

Best,
Aaron