obix-xml message

Subject: RE: [obix-xml] Schema update

Shouldn't we be using well known standards for these?

Unless I am mistaken, what you are calling batching is defined by
WS-Enumeration and WS-Transfer

Web Service Enumeration (WS-Enumeration) "describes a general SOAP-based
protocol for enumerating a sequence of XML elements that is suitable for
traversing logs, message queues, or other linear information models. It
brings enumeration capabilities to the WS-* suite of specifications,
enabling an application to ask for items from a list of data that is held by
a Web service. In this way, WS-Enumeration is useful for reading event logs,
message queues, or other data collections."

WS-Enumeration recognizes that "there are numerous applications for which a
simple single-request/single-reply metaphor is insufficient for transferring
large data sets over SOAP. Applications that do not fit into this simple
paradigm include streaming, traversal, query, and enumeration. In its
simplest form, WS-Enumeration defines a single operation, Pull, which allows
a data source, in the context of a specific enumeration, to produce a
sequence of XML elements in the body of a SOAP message. Each subsequent Pull
operation returns the next N elements in the aggregate sequence."

The Web Service Transfer (WS-Transfer) specification "describes a general
SOAP-based protocol for accessing XML representations of Web service-based
resources. It enables state transfer over SOAP by defining how to invoke a
simple set of familiar verbs (Get, Post, Put, and Delete) using SOAP. An
application protocol may be constructed to perform these operations over
resources."

WS-Transfer "defines two types of entities: (1) Resources, which are
entities addressable by an endpoint reference that provide an XML
representation; (2) Resource factories, which are Web services that can
create a new resource from an XML representation. Specifically, it defines
two operations for sending and receiving the representation of a given
resource and two operations for creating and deleting a resource and its
corresponding representation."
Toby Considine      ! "There are seldom good
UNC Chapel Hill     ! technological solutions to
Chapel Hill, NC     ! behavioral problems."
Phone (919)962-9073 !
Fax (919)962-1102   !             -- Ed Crowley
tobias@fac.unc.edu  !