obix-xml message

Subject: RE: [obix-xml] Groups - oBIX XML Standards working meeting (iCalfor oBIX) added

As a matter of accepted style, if we are re-using elements from another namespace, we should use that names spaces definition.

For example, we should never use

<obj href=""obixCal:Period">

<!—Required. à

<abstime name=”start”/>

<!—The following are required but only one or the other may occur. à

<abstime name=”end” />

<reltime name=”duration” />

</obj>

But instead use

<obj href=""ical:Period">

<!—Required. à

<abstime name=”start”/>

<!—The following are required but only one or the other may occur. à

<abstime name=”end” />

<reltime name=”duration” />

</obj>

As the Period object is as defined in that original namespace. Our definition is a mere borrowing, and the master version of the spec remains in the original space. This is the reason for the prefices, is to name the space wherein the original definition lies….

tc

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina