[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Groups - oBIX Meeting modified
oBIX Meeting has been modified by Toby Considine (firstname.lastname@example.org). Date: Tuesday, 29 June 2004 Time: 11:00am - 12:00pm Eastern Time Event Description: Tridium will be hosting this conference call. Phone: 800-838-0546 or 913-905-1404 Passcode: 652627 Agenda: Agenda: Proposed Agenda: 5 Minutes Discussion on Clarification to Charter. If Anyone has concerns, please submit them in writing to the group, as the attempt to do this as a group was hectic, to say the least. 10 Minutes: Clarification of Scope, Purpose of oBIX 10 Minutes: Summary of Work to Date: Aaron Hansen 5 Action Items from Last Week: - (ALL) Proposed clarification of the Charter. Please review and be ready to discuss. Please submit further proposed changes to the group. - (Anto) Align verbiage on www.obix.org with public charter information from OASIS. - (Ken Wacks) Send a description of the liaison levels with ISO, what they mean, and which is the appropriate level for oBIX at this stage. - (Toby) Distribute draft of clarified charter for discussion. - (All) prepare to discuss further sub-committee formation. - (All) Consider role of recording secretary for oBIX 5 minutes: Alliances and relationships: Ken Wacks. AECXML. UDDI. 10 Minutes: Approaches and Participation: (Carry-over from last time) – Steering committee, want to be able to discuss issues w/o cluttering up all mailboxes; liaisons, agenda, etc. Open to any, just a different list? 15 Minutes: Approaches and Participation: (Carry-over from last time) oBIX has already been under way for a year, so there is some culture already in place on the committee that must be relearned for OASIS. Experience has shown that not all members are ready to live in the nitty-gritty of XML, and that other perspectives are necessary to make oBIX be what it should. There is also a strongly felt concern that we provide useful recommendations to users of oBIX as to when and how to use oBIX. We want to get a strong perspective on use cases that Owners Operators, and Tenants would like to get from oBIX, to make sure we continually re-focus on delivering usable value with oBIX. We have also had some participation from several of the 50 different vertical controls markets identified as likely to be in a building. To this end, we want to consider the sub-committee structure for oBIX. These subcommittees would allow the more focused members to meet more often on areas of concern, while summarizing back to the overall committee less frequently. As a starting point, I propose: oBIX meets once a month. - The XML Standards sub-committee meets once a week is up and running under Aaron Hansen - The Applications and Guidelines sub-committee will discuss when and when not to use oBIX for building controls projects. - Roadmap sub-committee As oBIX exposes controls to the enterprise, it grants the enterprise permission to interact with those control systems. This committee will focus on developing use cases and prioritizing development efforts by the other subcommittees. Other committees: - Special interest groups meetings (SIGs) for controls vertical industries to clarify the proper abstraction level for each vertical industry. I’d prefer to have more than one vendor on each. We also should look to existing XML/WSDL from the participants as a starting point. - Interfaces to define relationships between oBIX and related facilities XML dialects (to date, UDDI, GBXML, EBXML, WSDM) Of course, the actual subcommittee structure will be determined during open meetings, but something consistent with this structure is anticipated. 5 Minutes: discussion on expanding participation 5 Minutes: Summary and Action Items Minutes: Minutes from the OASIS oBIX TC Teleconference June 29th 2004 Roll call Meeting was convened by Toby Considine, Chair The roll call is kept on the TC web site under the meeting record. http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/event.php?event_id=5362 Approval of minutes from previous meeting Minutes were approved without discussion. Resolution of Issues The meeting concerned further organizational issues to get the committee up and going. Clarification of Charter It was agreed that all members would be mailed a copy of the charter locked for annotations. The resulting documents would be mailed back to the Chair, merged, and sent out for discussion at the next meeting. Clarification of Terminology We wanted to clarify the terminology that we use. Many words have quite precise (but different) meanings to different members of the controls community. The following hierarchy of verbs was presented: Guest Interaction Tenant Interaction Operation Configuration (i.e. loop tuning and the like) Installation & Discovery The following additional modes were noted outside the hierarchy above: Enterprise System Interaction Peer-To-Peer (other control systems) interaction It was agreed that oBIX was not targeted toward the Discovery, Installation, or Configuration of a Control System. oBIX would be an appropriate platform for all interactions from Operation up. The phrase “supervisory” was rejected as were several others. Someone (I don’t remember who) suggested the phrase “Orchestration” – which was acclaimed and drew no complaints. So there we have it. oBIX orchestrates interactions between controls systems and between those control systems and the enterprise and enables data sharing between them. Summary of work to Date Aaron Hansen provided a summary of the history of oBIX as well as the progress of the technical standards committee to date. The committee to date has concerned itself with normalizing control points for the enterprise. To this end, discussions have centered around modeling points and atomic values. After much discussion, three classes of deliverables were defined for oBIX v1. oBIX Discovery Service: the heart of accessing the control systems through enumerating concrete types and defining hooks th point services. Real time point services, enabling the user to get and set Point values within a control systems Alarms: defining how control systems notify the enterprise Trend Service: data logging and trending services. Other issues of concern to the committee to date include Scheduling and Security. Toby Considine reiterated his concern that some sort of event scheduling be included as an early deliverable. Jamie Robinson pointed out that the discovery service and other aspects should rely on other work defined by other OASIS committees. We are already working on this, and discussions have begun. Chairs of other OASIS groups have been eager to proffer assistance, but as of yet we have had little to reveal to them about what are vision is. Aaron continued that Brian Franks was working on a very early proto-standard, what he referred to as a Straw Man Document, expected to be referenced as oBIX v0.2. This work is anticipated complete by the end of July. We plan to share the Straw Man Document with other committees to seek their advice on how their standards will support oBIX. Action Items from last week - (ALL) Proposed clarification of the Charter. Please review and be ready to discuss. Please submit further proposed changes to the group. Still pending. - (Anto) Align verbiage on www.obix.org with public charter information from OASIS: done. Further discussion suggested revising and extending the OASIS TC site. Anto Budjiardo was proposed as a Web Secretary, able to thereby update the OASIS web site but spared form duties such as minutes. This passé w/o objection. - (Ken Wacks) Send a description of the liaison levels with ISO, what they mean, and which is the appropriate level for oBIX at this stage. See below - (Toby) Distribute draft of clarified charter for discussion: still to do. - (All) prepare to discuss further sub-committee formation. See below. - (All) Consider role of recording secretary for oBIX Aaron Hansen provided a summary of the history of oBIX as well as the progress of the technical standards committee to date. Alliances and Relationships Ken Wacks reported on the meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1 SC25 WG1 The following resolution was approved without objection by the 17 countries present: "SC 25 instructs its Secretariat to establish formal liaison, external liaison category B, with oBIX (Open Building Information xchange) at OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards), Toby Considine, Chair oBIX Technical Committee, (email@example.com)." You should be receiving a letter from the SC25 Secretariat confirming the establishment of a liaison relationship. More information will be provided when we have it. Toby Considine summarized correspondence IAI-AECXML as mediated by Barry Schaeffer. Some back and forth has gone on, but the current proposal is as follows: I recommend an MOU with National Institute of Building Sciences which would include all of the Councils and Committees of NIBS. The International Alliance for Interoperability - North America Chapter operates as a Council within NIBS. The AECXML Domain is a committee within the IAI-NA. The NIBS Facility Maintenance and Operations Committee's OMSI XML project got NIBS involved with IAI, and there is an informal relationship. The Facility Information Council, where the National CAD Standard resides, also supports the IAI. It makes sense to me to get under the entire umbrella. IAI is closely aligned with ISO, in particular STEP. I don't know much about OASIS, but I think of it as more an IT group than a building industry group. I believe the NIBS/FMOC has maintained contact with OASIS through Mark Crawford of the Logistics Management Institute, Barry Schaeffer, and perhaps Kent Reed of NIST too. I am sure about other IAI or NIBS contacts with OASIS. The chairs of the UDDI TC submitted a request that we consider “Explorations of Changes or Extensions that we may want from to UDDI to meet [the] needs of oBIX”. As per discussion above, the first step is the straw man oBIX v0.2. Toby Considine reported that we are investigating whether any Service Order construct from EBXML might be useful to oBIX. Formation of Sub-Committees Note: Last meeting, we created the following subcommittees: XML Standards Committee, Aaron Hansen , Chair. Marketing Committee, Anto Budiardjo, Chair Rob Zivney, Peter Manolescue to join The following new subcommittees were approved (and their charters as submitted by their chairs) - Business Requirements Group As oBIX exposes controls to the enterprise, it grants the enterprise permission to interact with those control systems. This committee will focus on developing use cases and prioritizing development efforts by the other subcommittees. - Security Sub-Committee: Define the necessary extensions to the core services provided by the oBIX framework that would enable integration, interoperability and data mining across and between building security systems and other oBIX based building systems. The Sub-Committee will also provide an interface to exchange information with other existing and proposed XML/WS based initiatives and organizations in the security industry. Scope: The Sub-Committee’s scope will include Access Control, CCTV, Intrusion Detection, Fire Detection and Life Safety Systems. Co-Chairs: Peter Manolescue, Anno Scholten - Power Systems Sub-Committee: This group will address topics related to the systems supporting the management of electrical power within commercial facilities. This will include the application topics of energy management, power quality and power reliability. Equipment covered will include power distribution assemblies, protective devices, power metering, backup generation equipment and uninterruptible power supplies. This sub committee will also look to the work being done in the GridWise organization to drive a common approach. Chairs: Richard Harwell, Ron Ambrose (note: first order is to recruit additional industry participants) Note: for historical reasons, the HVAC industry is largely identical to the XML Standards Committee. Aaron will investigate with group whether HVAC Stnadards Subcommittee is required or useful. Other Standards to Watch GridWise, WSDL, WSDM, UDDI, OPC – XML Alliance MIMOSA – WS instantiation of OPC LONMARK, BACNET SIA KONNEX ECHONET IP User Group for Security: Summary of Action Items: (Aaron Hansen) – some discussion of Data Transparency (Marketing Group) Review storefront of oBIX.org (Toby, Marketing Group) TC Review OASIS, TC open to public (Rob Zivney) SIA Alliance Report & Feedback (Toby Considine, Anto Budjiardo) Review public Page (Aaron Hansen) HVAC SIG? (ALL) Proposed clarification of the Charter. Please review and be ready to discuss. Please submit further proposed changes to the group. (Toby) Distribute draft of clarified charter for discussion. (All) Consider role of recording secretary for oBIX (Subcommittee Heads) Set up Subcommittee Sites (Subcommittee Heads) Subcommittee PagesReports Items for next Agenda: GridWise (www.gridwise.org) SIA View event details: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/event.php?event_id=5434 PLEASE NOTE: If the above link does not work for you, your email application may be breaking the link into two pieces. You may be able to copy and paste the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.
[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]