Subject: RE: [obix] OBIX Use cases

Thanks everyone for contributing these items and the context methodology document.

I feel the context methodology http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix-liaise/download.php/8918/Context_Methodology_v3.pdf is a little heavyweight to begin with.  It is a bit much, talks about UML classes, swimlanes,  etc.

I think in the shorter term, we should be in brainstorm mode.  I think we can be much lighter in weight, talking about actors and simple stories.  I hope people are willing to throw out use cases and actors without concern about whether they are right, completely clear, or refined .  I believe once we are done eliciting and refining use cases and have a good understanding of them they can be refined and, if necessary, documented using "Context Methodology" or some other scheme.

I think its going to be challenging to collaboratively gather requirements or use cases via email or discussion boards and conference calls.  I think it would be helpful  to collaboratively edit and mark up documents.  I can suggest a wiki as a tool that would work - there are probably others.  I think we would be wise to use something outside of the OASIS KAVI system for this type of collaboration, and aggregate that material into a spec when it is complete and ready for publication.

Doug Ransom

From: clute, dave [mailto:dclute@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:16 PM
To: Watson, Charles D
Cc: obix@lists.oasis-open.org

Charles, Team:

I have attached an example of stakeholder and use case scenarios for work order management.  The applicability to building automation would be the generation of work orders related to preventive and scheduled maintenance for building assets.  The actual use cases are not included here, just the description of stakeholder classes and Use Case Scenarios.  The use case documentation is much more extensive and include process flows, role definitions and data element lists.

Thanks!