Subject: Application to have oBIX proceed to becoming an OASIS standard

Committee Members:

Now that oBIX is an OASIS Committee Standard our next step is to proceed for vote as an OASIS standard.  To do this we are required to do a submission, have it reviewed by staff, and get votes from 15% of OASIS members.  There are a number of requirements involved to get to this step including passing a public review which we have completed.  The one open issue we have is the completion of two additional “certifications”.  These are statements that you have looked at the protocol, not that you have used it in a product.  Applications are only accepted until the 15th of the month.  We got in for the December cycle – with the understanding that we would get the remaining certifications in the next few days.

Much thanks to OASIS staff for working with us on this.  The success of this project now rests on committee members submitting the certifications and on our work to get general OASIS support for the project.

Our application is attached below.

On a sad note,  we are loosing our technical committee chair, Aaron Hanson, as he move to a new career.  Many thanks to Aaron for his outstanding work and perseverance over the last three years.  It is the hard work that has been done by Aaron and the other technical committee members that has gotten us to this point.

Paul Ehrlich

Co-Chair OASIS oBIX committee

As Co-Chair of the oBIX (Open Building Information Exchange) TC I am submitting the following items to the TC

Administrator:

a) Links to the approved Committee Specification in the TC's document repository

The approved Committee Specification can be found at View Document Details:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/document.php?document_id=21461

Download Document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/download.php/21461/obix-1.0-cs-01.doc

(b) The editable version of all files that are part of the Committee Specification

   See links above.

(c) Certification by the TC that all schema and XML instances included in the specification, whether by inclusion or reference, including fragments of such, are well formed, and that all expressions are valid

The schemas and instances have been extensively tested.    It is available for download at Source Forge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/obix

(d) A clear English-language summary of the specification

   See

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/documents.php

(e) A statement regarding the relationship of this specification to similar work of other OASIS TCs or other standards developing organizations

   oBIX version 1.0 is a new document..

(f) Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the specification

   The following OASIS member organizations have certified to me

   that they are successfully using oBIX:

Tridium

Others (TBD)

   Messages to this effect are archived at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/messages.php

(g) The beginning and ending dates of the public review(s), a pointer to the announcement of the public review(s), and a pointer to an account of each of the comments/issues raised during the public review period(s), along with its resolution

oBIX version 1.0 went out for public review on 14 July 2006 and closed on 12 September 2006.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/email/archives/200607/msg00005.html

Comment dispositions: No substantive comments were received during the review period.  Two comments where received and the changes where editorial only. Links to the change log are in the archived e-mail link below.

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/email/archives/200611/msg00001.html

(h) An account of and results of the voting to approve the specification as a Committee Specification, including the date of the ballot and a pointer to the ballot

Voting to approve oBIX Version 1.0 as an OASIS Committee Specification Began 30 November 2006 and ended 6 December  2006.  All but one committee member voted to approve the standard.  One did not vote prior to the ballot closing. d The ballot can be found at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/ballot.php?id=1161

(i) An account of or pointer to votes and comments received in any earlier attempts to standardize substantially the same specification, together with the originating TC's response to each comment

No prior attempts have been made to standardize oBIX 1.0.

(j) A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for the originating TC

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/obix/

(k) A pointer to any minority reports submitted by one or more Members who did not vote in favor of approving the Committee Specification, which report may include statements regarding why the member voted against the specification or that the member believes that Substantive Changes were made which have not gone through public review; or certification by the Chair that no minority reports exist

   No negative votes were received, and no minority reports were

   submitted.

Paul Ehrlich

President,

Building Intelligence Group LLC