Subject: RE: Question about the oBIX specification

Hannu:

I am forwarding this on to the larger group to see if anyone wants to answer.

What is the scenario you want to support? As the current specification is only 1.0, it will surely grow in time. The most likely way it will grow to include the features you want is if you can help us understand what you want to be able to do with the requested feature.

In today's world of spam, alas, your reply cannot go to the whole group. When I get the answer, I will post it to the larger group thanks

tc

________________________________

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." -- Pablo Picasso
________________________________

Toby Considine
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu

From: Hannu Järvinen [mailto:hannu.jarvinen@tml.hut.fi]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 9:19 AM
To: Considine, Toby (Technology Services)
Subject: Question about the oBIX specification

Hi,

I am implementing a prototype implementation of an oBIX server as a part
of my Master's Thesis in Helsinki University of Technology in Finland.
It is done in co-operation with STOK in Porvoo. I am not part of the
oBIX TC but I would still like to ask a question about the specification
if possible.

Why does not the specification define a way for a client to add data to
the server? I mean that client can use write request to change existing
information in the server but can not add any data to the server. Maybe
we would also like to have this as a standard feature of an oBIX server.
Then it would be possible to connect a device or system to the network
(to oBIX server) without a need to implement server. Is there a reason
why this service is left out?

Regards,
--
Hannu Järvinen