Subject: Pre-Meeting comments on NBIMS/oBIX Summit

A few folks are very specific, a few are just interested, and a few hope like anything we figure it out to solve some current problems they have.

As for me, v1.0 of oBIX is, and had to be, about solving control problems first. It has done that by creating a low level, simple, extensible framework for operational configuration, monitoring, and alarms. oBIX v1.0 has defined a simple means of defining contracts to specify which system(s) someone wishes to interact with. This work was bottom up

The next challenge for oBIX is to define standard contracts, to create a higher level of abstraction. This work must be top-down, and it appears that one of the higher level perspectives is NBIMS. I think higher lever standard contracts will morph, with experience, into abstract interfaces, and these interfaces will be the basis for true enterprise interactivity.

I very much want control systems to become part of the design, for energy models to comission the design, for building conmmmissioning that commissions the construction be mappable to the design-based energy model, and for live modeling to be comprable to design model and the commissioning model.

I think that this level of abstraction will be essential to maintaining warrantability of each system in multi-system buildings installed by different contactors while enabling corrdination of intelligent buildings to dance with the intelligent power grid envisioned by GridWise.

And I think it will be worthwhile each step of the way as we feel out the next step.

Talk to you at 1. (eastern time)

tc

I am a senior architect at Merrick and Company and have been tracking the NBIMS initiative since last August as part of a 9 month research effort, which has led us to begin implementing BIM company-wide using the Autodesk Revit software platform for architecture, structural, and MEP design.  My reason for attending:

I and our lead mechanical engineer are both interested in keeping up to date with progress on interoperability between software platforms for the future of the AEC industry, and your comments regarding “Energy modeling scenarios” and “common Energy Model from Design to Commission to Operations” caught my eye, as I see the potential uses for BIM in sustainable design.  We would be participating in this summit initially as interested professionals, yet by the end we may have questions.

We bring no NBIMS or other interoperability expertise to the table, although I am reviewing the NBIMS Version 1, Part 1 in depth, with a goal of joining the consensus committee in the near future.

Regards,

Robert S. Huston, RA, NCARB

Senior Architect - BIM Technology Coordinator

Merrick & Company

Building Quality Solutions

Engineers and Architects

2450 S. Peoria St.

Aurora, CO 80014

Direct  303-353-3613

Office  303-751-0741

Fax     303-751-2581

bob.huston@merrick.com

www.merrick.com

 I figure I will put in my two cents also:

In looking at the total lifecycle picture of a BIM, the development through planning, design, construction and commissioning puts the model in place to be a valuable spatial tool to the operator and sustainer.  Not only does one have accurate detailed information about the facility but they also have the design intent and analysis that went into the design.  Having an energy audit capability, using sensors designed to operate the facility, can provide a non-gaming metric to ensure that in fact the facility is being operated as it was intended.  Linking this with other infrastructure aspects including information technology, network operations and physical security monitoring provides a rather complete model of the facility that can be used by a full time operations center for larger facilities or campus type environments.  All of this can easily and cost effectively be done today with significant and demonstrated return on investment.

Thank you.
Deke Smith

Mr. Dana K. "Deke" Smith, RA
Chair
NIBS Facility Information Council
National BIM Standard Project Committee
(703) 481-9573 cell (703) 909-9670

Hi Toby/All,

I’d also like to participate in this discussion as well as we look for integration roadmaps for all of us to exchange data across the supply chain.

Here’s a link to our latest document describing our list of data standards development Work Groups.

http://www.oscre.org/news/OSCRE_WorkGroups22MAR07_22032007.pdf

There will be a large number of industry supply chain stakeholders currently participating with OSCRE that will benefit from oBIX-NBIMS-OGC-ICC-IAI & others interoperability. Conversely, our constituents will have a lot to contribute to the BIM.

I look forward to the discussion.

Best Regards,

Andy

Andy Fuhrman

CEO

Open Standards Consortium for Real Estate (OSCRE)

799 Summit Drive

Santa Cruz, CA  95060

Tel.  831.458.3346

Email: Andy.Fuhrman@oscre.org

MSN-IM: Andy_Fuhrman@hotmail.com

Skype: andyfuhrman

Website: http://www.oscre.org

The common model, no limits, seems that oBIX has many key bits of information that need to be included in the whole life cycle info sharing bit. As a multidiscipline Architectural / Engineering firm with many clients for life, we see the connection (or lack of) between the way systems are designed / engineered and the way systems are operated. Seems that ways of sharing information along these lines should be fleshed out to be of help in the efficient operations of the facility. Basically, I would like to know more about oBIX.

Thanks,
Mark Butler
Systems Integration Manager
Professional Associate

HDR ONE COMPANY | Many Solutions
8404 Indian Hills Drive | Omaha, NE | 68114-4098
Phone: 402.392.8782 | Email: r.mark.butler@hdrinc.com

I believe National Institutes of Health (NIH) with it main Campus in Bethesda, MD, USA, is the largest Research Health Facility in the World.  NIH facilities include over 150,000,000 Square Meter of buildings (close to 90,000,000 Square Meter of the space at the Bethesda Campus in Maryland, USA).

We require Building Information Modeling (BIM) on our new large projects; currently we have two (2) large projects and one small project under design in BIM.

We utilize GIS and Facility Management Software, and we find the efforts of FIC-BIM and its participant and all its supporting vendors and consultants helpful to our needs and goals, including our BIM-GIS-FM approach for Total Facility Design Construction and Operation.  The efforts of OSCRE STRATEGY AND PLANNING METRICS WORK GROUP (SPM-WG), will have direct impact to our Facility Management and will provide support to Federal Real Property Council (FRPC) and its data reporting requirement per executive order 13327.

Regards,

Reza Jafari, P.E.

National Institutes of Health

Office of Research Facilities

13 South Drive

Bethesda, MD 20892-5759

Tel: (301) 435-9384

Cell (301) 252-8861

We do a lot of work integrating FM and GIS for space and asset management and are very interested in the oBIX initiatives and the convergence of these technologies.

David A. Jordani, FAIA

President

JORDANI CONSULTING GROUP

12 S. Sixth Street, Suite 914

Minneapolis, MN 55402

612.333.9222; 612.220.0780 (Cell)

djordani@jordani.com

http://www.jordani.com

Reasons I am at this meeting…

There is a growing realization that a significant convergence is occurring around the subject of “buildings”, not only on technology terms but also in the stakeholders around buildings. This meeting seems to be another thread in such trend. I would like to frame all of this under an umbrella of “Buildings 2.0”.

See http://automatedbuildings.com/news/apr07/articles/clasma/070320114020budiardjo.htm

I’d like to encourage oBIX, NBIMS, OSCRE and other stakeholders to further develop the Buildings 2.0 concept in Chicago this May.

Cheers,

Anto...

Anto Budiardjo - President & CEO, Clasma Events Inc.

Email antob@clasma.com • Phone: USA +1(817)946-3162 • Europe +44 (770) 417-0376 • Asia +65 (9)465-8128

ConnectivityWeek: BuilConn, M2M Expo, Wi-tivity, GridWise Expo, ibX Forum

You asked >: “Why am I attending?”

Great question, and I hope this is not too “academic”.

As a consumer (and not a vendor) I simply need to convince 4 people or more to buy into this emerging building & energy control standards Roadmap. The more I understand and can semantically model at the enterprise level and at the technical level, the more successful will be my arguments for policy and behavioral changes.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob Smith, Ph.D.

Ontology Projects Manager