Subject: FW: oBIX server project

An open source oBIX server project is ramping up - details below. I am forwarding this to the group because I thought some of you might be interested in participating.

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu
Phone: (919)962-9073
http://www.oasis-open.org
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

-----Original Message-----
From: obix-developers@googlegroups.com [mailto:obix-developers@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Michalek
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 3:44 PM
To: obix-developers@googlegroups.com
Subject: oBIX server project

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself and present a proposal for a oBIX server
development project.

I am an architect and developer currently doing work in WSN area,
somewhat new to oBIX, although I followed it somewhat during that last
year or so while I was working on a WSN project and using OPC-XML-DA
for that.

Recently, I saw a message on OASIS web site mentioning that Toby is
possibly coordinating server work on Obix. I was interested in
exploring Obix as a possible core mechanism for managing a WSN
infrastructure.

I read the oBIX specification and looked at the current sourceforge
project which contains core classes and a client implementation.

My motivation for implementing an open source server is to
collectivelly develop the server side of infrastructure that people
could use for device integration in projects with "systems which
sense" (to quote oBIX spec).
My personal interest within this context is in WSN and robotics.

Another standard that to me seems to have similar functionality and is
older is OPC-XML-DA - I used it and I am familiar with it: I think
oBIX has a more modern approach and abstractions, such as explicit
inclusion of REST, but I don't see major conceptual differences. In
particular the concept of Watch is similar to OPC subscriptions.

Here is an initial list of requirements for the oBIX server project
(somewhat based on an email I exchanged with Toby, Brian, Aaron in the
last day or two).

Goals/Requirements
-----------------------------

* a set of modular de-coupled server components in Java that can serve
as glue to develop a server, e.g. Watch related functionality and its
tieing to a generic mechanism of tracking property changes in objects
would be useful
* an sample implementation of those components within a particular
architecture such as:
** tomcat container, obix specific stand-alone servlet based on
framework such as REST-art
** simulation of objects with changing properties

* sample server deployment/implementation using this infrastructure
for real hardware:
** robotics systems: iRobot, Lego Mindstorm NXT
** WSN systems: Mica2, moteiv, others?
** Z-wave systems: ??

* sample server deployment/implementation using simulated hardware

* sample client tracking changes and allowing actions on actuators in
network objects (does this already exist in Java oBIX Toolkit?)

Implementatkion strategy:
------------------------------------

* Use java (1.5 or 1.6).
* Use spring framework
* Use tomcat as the default servlet container, but make it generic so
that other containers could be used

oBIX server project will be hosted on sourceforge. It will re-use and build on

Licensing: apache, mozilla or BSD style license.
- My experience is that less restrictive license will attract more
people, so apache, mozilla or BSD style license is my preference.

I would appreciate any feedback in general on this or additional
requirements that would make sense.

Thanks,

Peter