Subject: WS-DD, WS-DP and Soap over UDP

These standards are currently out for n OASIS vote and I urge you to urge your company representative to vote for them as OASIS Standards.

You can see some of my thoughts as these standards started out at

http://www.newdaedalus.com/articles/2008/9/19/standards-buzz-ws-dd-dp-ipso-et-and-internet-0.html

WS-DD standardizes device discovery for web services. This standard will be on consumer electronics soon. Associating this standard with oBIX controlled systems can be a path to bring building systems into the enterprise fold

WS-DP standardizes device profiles. DP offers a potential path for energy profiles defining how much and under what circumstances a system [device] could shed load. Such a standard could unite oBIX-controlled devices and such other standards as energywise profiles and Zigbee energy profiles inrt a common framework for smart grid activities. DP defines the interactions only, Potential payloads for energy profiles (or any other profiles for building automation) are entirely undefined.

The light-weight  discoverability defined in the SOAP over UDP standard can apply nicely to the oBIX realm. The oBIX server is a natural place to centralize local discovery and to provide a registry for secure external discovery as defined in these documents.

The smart grid is re-defining scalability of very large numbers of loosely coupled systems.  A smart electrical grid is only as smart as the systems it interacts with, including smart  buildings. Those buildings will have more kinds of systems in them than today, including distributed generation and energy storage. This will quickly become too complicated and diverse a landscape for the top down, device oriented, deeply integrated,  hierarchical control that has characterized electrical power in the US.

Instead we will have, in my view, a smart building agent, communicating with the grid, but responsible to the enterprise/inhabitants in the building, and operating that building to be enterprise responsive first, and thereby energy responsive to the grid(s). This will require discoverability, and abstraction, and shallow interactions, i.e., SOA.

I urge you to vote yes on these standards.

tc

"It is the theory that decides what can be observed."   - Albert Einstein

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
Co-Chair, OASIS Technical Advisory Board
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu