Subject: We need this sort of use cases we need from the buildings / obix world as well

See below for WS-Calendar perspective

-----Original Message-----
From: Toby Considine [mailto:tobyconsidine@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Toby
Considine
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:00 AM
To: 'Paul Tischhauser'
Subject: RE: WS Calendar proposal 00_1

It's close.

One of the specific call-outs of the NAESB use cases was that we specify
precision of response. For humans attending meetings in many organizations,
plus or minus 5 minutes is the rule. In other organizations, you better be
there at 9:30 sharp. This has been handled by social knowledge by ICalendar
users.

In industrial and energy response, there is a need to know the precision
required. Today, Industrial sites, Commercial Buildings, and homes are
expected to have widely varying degrees of precision in their response times
to grid signals. Back-end generators are requested to come on line more
precisely than any of the above. In today's energy market, more precise
response times are rewarded with higher prices. In discussions in NAESB, we
were imagining that any Schedule negotiation would include a precision
field.

I also do not wish to blend two issues in one of the use cases. A back-end
generator might agree to run all day at half power on the hottest day of the
year. It expects to be paid for being on stand-by for xxx hours (a). Within
that contracted period, this spun-up generator must be ready to go to full
power and sending electricity onto the grid (b).  Be must occur with the
agreed upon precision of response. Both (a) and (b) must be paid for. The
contract might pay for (a) and set a price for (b) if needed. Later on,
there might be a request to honor that contract at the approved rate (B)
starting in, ohhh... five minutes.

Hope this makes sense of that use case...

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well" - Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc
Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board