Subject: Re: [obix] To clarify intent - Encodings

Hi,

CoAP is protocol binding, since it is a similar protocol like HTTP, with the main difference being based on UDP instead of TCP. Since a REST binding for CoAP is straightforward I would consider it wihin the planned REST protocol bindings document.

Regarding the message encodings, I would have a single document for all encodings. Currently, the encodings in the 1.1 WD06 document are XML (application/xml) and oBIX binary (application/x-obix-binary). Further encodings would be the _javascript_ Object Notation (application/json) and the standardized efficient XML interchange format (appplication/exi). For the oBIX binary encoding, the XML encoding and maybe the JSON encoding it is required to describe the mapping of oBIX documents expressed with the oBIX object model to the specific encoding, but for EXI it will be straightforward since it works on the XML encoding.

The current encoding sections have just 2 to 4 pages, so I would prefer having one document with maybe 20 pages instead of splitting it on several small documents.

Finally, at the end of such a document an overview should be included stating which encoding makes sense for which protocol binding. For the REST bindings all encodings can be used, but for the SOAP bindings only XML and maybe EXI make sense.

BR
Markus