Subject: RE: [obix] RE: Obix question

Sorry for the spam, but by the way, I think the same issue applies to the example in 4.6 as well.

<enum range=”/enums/OffSlowFast” val=”slow”/>

should also have null=”false” in it.  I think these examples may have presupposed the exclusive relationship, although to my knowledge that is not formally expressed in the spec.  I will be sure to check though.

Thanks again for the comment!

Craig

From: obix@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:obix@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Gemmill, Craig
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:44 PM
To: Toby Considine; 'Jochen Burkhardt'; obix@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Jochen-

It sounds like the issue is that 4.17 states that <abstime> defaults to null, but then 4.7 supplies an example <abstime> that provides a value but does NOT clear the default null setting, leading to a confusing interpretation that the example has a ‘meaningful’ value but is still null.  Is that a correct interpretation?

As far as correcting this, my intent would be that the example in 4.7 would read:

<abstime val=”2005-03-09T13:30:00Z” null=”false”/>

But this begs what I have seen as a bigger question, which is about the coexistence of ‘null’ and a value.  Can an <obj> have a value and still be null?  I think the spec is unfortunately ambiguous on that matter.  I would like to see it clarified.  More specifically, I would like to see it clarified that having a value and being ‘null’ are exclusive conditions.  In other words, for these six object definitions, all of which (I think) are permitted under the 1.0 spec:

1.       <real>

2.       <real null=”true”/>

3.       <real null=”false”/>

4.       <real val=”0.0” null=”true”/>

5.       <real val=”0.0” null=”false”/>

6.       <real val=”0.0”/>

I would propose the following statements/clarifications.

1 and 3 are equivalent (because null defaults to false), and also an error, because an object must either have a value or be null.  2 is an example of a non-valued null object.  4 is an error, because an object cannot both have a value and be null.   5 is redundant, since null is by default false; it is also equivalent to 6.

Thanks for identifying this!

Craig