Subject: RE: Time in oBIX

I think we should avoid if at all possible allowing in an extension spec, things that are prohibited by the core spec.

From: obix@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:obix@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Considine, Toby
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:21 AM
To: obix@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [obix] Time in oBIX

This brings some interesting questions forward.

Z may be expressly forbidden in the core spec. Do we need to allow options for its use in the advanced telemetry (2.0)?

IIRC the original meetings, we discussed that buildings are *scheduled* in local time, whatever it may be. One integrator presented the specific issue of setting the opening schedule for a chain of 100 stores in 5 states (and multiple time zones). We also discussed the issue that a 9:00 opening is still a 9:00 opening on either side of a DST change.

In calendars, there is an explicit notion that you can accept a schedule in local time (no time zone or prefix), or in time zone (DST or not), or in Zulu time. However one receives the request, and however one processes the request, one must always store the type of the original time. If the request was for Eastern Standard Time (EST), then one should *not* recompute when EDT begins.  Alternately, when the request was for ET, one *must* recomputed when DST begins.

We may want to revisit *some* of the time notions in oBIX.

tc

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."

-- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC

Editor, OASIS EMIX, Energy Interoperation
Campus Services Information Technology
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu