Subject: RE: [obix] Groups - obix-websocket-v1.0-wd03.pdf uploaded

Hi all,

thank you very much for your valuable comments! Finally some answers and further questions from Jochen and me:
1) @Markus' comment of using SOAP request / responses I think reusing that is very reasonable. My question is: would it also be possible to use JSON encoded messages (which is usually used in _javascript_ interaction)?
2) I understand the comments from Gareth and Craig regarding "keeping the watch semantics as is". Our goal was to introduce a concept (it must not be called "Watch" though) which allows bidirectional communication of oBIX messages within a session. The Watch concept did look as the closest match (as it denotes a set of oBIX resources), except refresh and polling would not be needed. Also in the push case we usually do not want to have explicit flow control as it should be as realtime as possible, despite there could be a lot of events.
3) In our actual case we haven't "reused" registrations to oBIX resources (like a named watch), i.e. there was no state we needed to keep across sessions. That means that we were not using this kind of concept as RESTful resources.
4) The current Watch concept could put a burden on the oBIX server implementation and hardware requirements. Especially when response times are critical stateful Watches seem to be heavy-weight.

That said I would propose to discuss it in the TC before publishing the current draft for public review - as Craig also mentioned in his comment on OBIX-4.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Matthias Hub

Solution Development Consultant IBM Connections and Smarter Home matthias.hub@de.ibm.com | +49-7034-643 x1261 | +49-160-7422995
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH Schönaicher Straße 220, 71032 Böblingen Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Köderitz, Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

From:        "Gemmill, Craig" <craig.gemmill@tridium.com>
To:        "Johnson, Gareth" <gjohnson@tridium.com>, Markus Jung <mjung@auto.tuwien.ac.at>, Matthias X Hub/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
Cc:        "obix@lists.oasis-open.org" <obix@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        30.08.2013 13:49
Sent by:        <obix@lists.oasis-open.org>

Good point Gareth-
I hadn’t thought of it that way, but that seems to me to be a very strong argument for keeping the watch semantics as is.  I think it’s definitely a bad idea to have something that is binding-specific in the core.  (As I write that, I’m just hoping we don’t already have that with our existing spec J).