Subject: Standard Libraries

Had a fascinating discussion today with a developer who has relied on an entirely different set of standard object then those in the STDLIB.OBIX contributed by Craig. My thoughts on this are evolving.

1)      Standardizing these is clearly a  benefit to interoperability.

2)      There are some sets that are complimentary. Measurements English vs Metric units, for example. Not everyone will want them all.

3)      There are some specialized sets. Energy could well be a specialized set. We could define a set of standard objects, looking much as does STDLIB.OBIX for the energy measurements. I saw one such today, but no indication that it would be contributed, yet.

4)      One can certainly imagine defined sets. The BACNET set, for example, would be useful in many North American environments

5)      There are many others we do not, cannot know. That’s OK

It would be nice to have a library, somewhere, where they are referenced. It might not be in OASIS, because I am not sure whether they fit in the OASIS process.

Is there any use to adding yet another of the Lobby Typings, one that says “I have things that use the STDLIB and BACNET objects.” If so, the generic object that Craig designed might work just fine: “StdLib”, “OBIX Standard Library”,  uri to find.

Reactions?

tc

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

OASIS TC Editor: EMIX, Energy Interoperation

SGIP Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com