Subject: OBIX and Energy

One of the work-list items for OBIX 2.0 was Energy/EMIX conformance.

Last week, I looked at the standard contracts used by a Korean OBIX developer. (I hope I can get them contributed). If we develop a library as was considered last week, I would argue that the standard contracts they use would already conform to EMIX (or within spitting distance anyway) and that telemetry from a watch on those contracts would conform with Energy Interop Streams, which means with OpenADR baselines and Reports.

This has changed how I think of energy and OBIX and 2.0.

Within EMIX, we had discussions about the Watt users (English measures) and the Joule users (Everybody else). That is well covered by this standard contract notion if we have a library that supports choosing. The only person to chime in was the head of the standards process, Chet. More voices wanted.

If we assume we have these libraries of standard contracts, what would it mean?

-          For the lobby contracts, it would mean greater interoperability

-          For 3rd party devices which support OBIX natively, it would be a way for to ensure that a stand-alone OBIX server can be consumed by a server and then proxied.

-          It could greatly reduce integration costs.

-          It might be a way to magnify / extend the work of the STV A into buildings, with standard OBIX contract supported by things. All kinds of things. (https://allseenalliance.org/)

I welcome suggestions and debate as to how to proceed.

tc

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

OASIS TC Editor: EMIX, Energy Interoperation

SGIP Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com