Subject: Getting ready for a vote....

It’s Crunch time for OBIX 1.1 and supporting specifications. There are numerous reasons why we want a public document before January. In particular:

·                     There is the Consumer Electronics Show on January 7

·                     There is the North American AHR Show at the end of January

This means that we want to vote the specifications out for Public Review this month. That means we must vote on next week on December 19, or we must vote on December 26, or we must vote at a special meeting. Everyone who attended the meeting today wants to take December 26 off, so we are aiming at December 19.

To meet this deadline, all documents must be in a final state with adequate time for TC members to review in advance of that meeting. Any changes to these documents should be made before December 17.

I think all the documents are “ripe” with the exception of Web Sockets. Matthias will review that document to make sure there are no re-statements in that specification of the information newly moved into the core 1.1. He has promised an update.

We plan to vote on 5 documents next Thursday. On each we must first be vote to accept the WD as a Committee Specification Draft (CSD). We must then vote to issue each CSD for Public Review. For four of the documents, this is the second public review, which can be short as 15 days if we request. This will be the first review of Web Sockets, so a minimum of 30 days of public review is required.

The documents we are considering are:

·                     OBIX 1.1 wd 20: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51607/obix-v1.1-wd20.pdf with associated normative artifacts: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51338/2013-11-08-obix.xsd

·                     Common Encodings for OBIX WD09: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51623/OBIX-Encodings-v1.0-wd09.pdf

·                     REST Binding for OBIX WD07: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51626/OBIX-REST-v1.0-wd07.pdf

·                     SOAP Binding for OBIX wd07: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51626/OBIX-REST-v1.0-wd07.pdf with associated normative artifacts https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51321/OBIX-SOAP-v1.0-wd06.wsdl

·                     Web Sockets Binding for OBIX wd09: (one more draft expected)  https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/51536/obix-websocket-v1.0-wd09.pdf

There was an interesting conversation about STDLIB.OBIX as well as other potential standard contracts in today’s meeting. As of yet, there is no commitment to incorporate STDLIB into the core. If we decide to do that, we *may require another public review of 1.1. It is the sense of the TC that the deadline is more important than waiting for that conversation to complete.

Please read these documents closely now. If you have any comments or changes, please submit them by the end of this weekend, so any changes, if needed, can be incorporate into a new WD before next Tuesday.

Thanks

tc

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

OASIS TC Editor: EMIX, Energy Interoperation

SGIP Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com