Subject: How OBIX is Expanding into Residential and Internet of Things Applications

Please send via email your suggestions for the "How OBIX is Expanding into Residential and Internet of Things Applications" White Paper by Friday, so that I can gather them together for another version of the document.

We will start on the section dealing with considerations for Smart Homes and IoT that differ from Buildings.  It can be just a paragraph or two, or even just phrases describing certain specific aspects of Smart Home and IoT.  At this point, don't worry how relevant your idea is - for now, we can jot the ideas down, and later reduce the list to the most relevant, and change/modify the wording.  Your idea may trigger another more relevant idea.

Here is a start (sure, for some of these ideas you may or may not agree; feel free to introduce other ideas):
- Smart Homes do not necessarily have a technically oriented system operator, while large building systems typically do.
- entertainment is a major driver for Smart Homes, while not so for large buildings.
- many large building automation systems have an over arching manufacturer supplier or operator, while Smart Homes typically involve a wide range of manufacturers' products.
- distances are typically smaller for Smart Homes than large buildings (e.g. single wireless systems can cover the entire home, or most of it, where as large buildings often have a communications "backbone").
- Smart Home and IoT devices can be very small and price sensitive, driven by consumer demand and marketing versus purchases in large buildings which are often driven by purchasing departments and approved purchases.
- Social media is a big part of Smart Homes and not so much for large buildings (at least is not supposed to be).
- Technology in Smart Homes and IoT tend to be more dynamic and changing than in large building.
- privacy is important for large buildings, but one's home is even more important; e.g. "my home is my castle".
- the gateway or entry point for information to and from the home is an important aspect.
- while large buildings typical have information systems, there might not be a main computer or database (or information system) for a Smart Home.
- systems dealing with building aspects (such as heating and cooling) are typically simpler and in many cases can translate to one number or value.  For example, an entire house setpoint could be set at 70 degrees, whereas in large building there would almost always be many values (setpoints for different floors, rooms etc.).
- building systems often involve people at desks and using desktop computers (including a specific physical location for each person, e.g. an office), while Smart Home could very well have only mobile type computing devices such as laptops, tablets and smart phones.

. . .