Subject: Tag Names and Taxonomies

This thread below from the realm of OPC is relevant to our current thoughts
on OBIX tagging and security.

Enjoy

tc
-----Original Message-----
From: scadasec-bounces@news.infracritical.com
[mailto:scadasec-bounces@news.infracritical.com] On Behalf Of Grant
Gilchrist
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:59 AM
To: scadasec@news.infracritical.com
Subject: Re: [SCADASEC] HAVEX report

Something really noticeable from this report is that the scan was able to
grab the OPC variable names.   Imagine if these were recognizable as in
"Twelfth Street Feeder Breaker", or standardized names as in IEC 61850 or
power system Common Information Model.  Again, the tools we provide to make
our engineers' lives easier also make it easier for attackers.  Dang.

Grant Gilchrist, P. Eng.
Principal Consultant, Smart Grid Engineering Team EnerNeX
p:  403.938.0220  //  c:  403.991.5343
e:  grant@enernex.com // www.enernex.com