ocpp message

Subject: Re: [ocpp] "Not Authorized" Reason

Hi Brendan,

Again, StopReason was a typo, should have been: NotAuthorizedReason, again, sorry for that.

Do you propose to add both? More possible values for: AuthorizationStatus, and an optional text field "NotAuthorizedReason" or  "AuthorizeResponse"

I don't see how the central system can return the status: "NotInGroup". Can you explain a bit more?

"Reserved"?
OCPP 1.6 states: "If the parent idTag in the reservation has a value (it is optional), then in order to determine the parent
idTag that is associated with an incoming idTag, the Charge Point MAY look it up in its Local
Authorization List or Authorization Cache. If it is not found in the Local Authorization List or
Authorization Cache, then the Charge Point SHALL send an Authorize.req for the incoming idTag to the
Central System. The Authorize.conf response contains the parent-id."

So when should a Central system return an AuthorizationStatus: Reserved?

Same goes for "(Commanded) Unavailable" Charge Point is unavailble, it should even do an Authorize request...

Kind regards,
Robert de Leeuw

IHomer
Hoge Ham 85
5104 JC Dongen

John F. Kennedylaan 3
5555 XC Valkenswaard

T: +31 6 2857 2123
E: robert.de.leeuw@ihomer.nl

Hi Franc, Robert, (folks),

I strongly agree with Franc that it would be wrong to have a field called StopReason in the IdTagInfo structure as a way to communicate why a transaction was never started in the first place.

To support all plausible business models and associated use cases, I think that there needs to be BOTH:

·         Appropriate extra values for the AuthorizationStatus enumeration: e.g.:

o   Reserved – all working not currently in use are (soon to be) reserved to other drivers.

o   (Commanded) Unavailable – e.g. maintenance visit immediately pending

o   OutOfCredit (Central)

o   ContractMismatch – Contract does not allow use of (requested/implied) charging type/speed [at this time]

·         Provision for the Central System to return a (possibly driver language-localized) custom message (suitably formatted, based on the known display characteristics).

However, it would be wrong, and misleading  to have such a field being named “StopReason” in the IdTagInfo structure as a way to communicate why a transaction was never started in the first place.

It would be even more confusing if a field called StopReason was a strict enumeration on StopTransaction.req messages, but a free text field on Authorize.conf . There is a clear distinction between the two cases, as is implied by the origin of the values (CP vs CS).

Further, I think that such a field should be named generically (e.g. “AuthorizeResponse”), rather than “negatively” (e.g. RefusalMessage”).
By so doing, it can also be used on “successful” authorization to give relevant supplementary warnings, notices, or other information: e.g.:

o   “You’re account credit will allows only <X> {minutes/hours/kWh} of charging”

o   This charging site closes at 10PM

·         Separately, some thought ought to be given to similar mechanisms in regard to Authorize responses to (attempts to) stop an ongoing transaction:

o   AuthorizationStatus (additional:)

§  NotInGroup (groupIdTag, a.k.a parentIdTag  in OCPP 1.6)

§  AcceptedLawEnforcement

o   AuthorizeResponse text (examples)

§  Account credit overdrawn: no further charging possible until topped-up.

§  charge point/site unavailability notices

Best Regards,

Brendan McMahon | Systems Architect | ESB ecars | T: +353 1 702 6708 / +353 87 662 2150 | www.esb.ie