odata-comment message

Subject: Function invocation in $select

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a specific design decision/reason for not supporting the invocation of functions/actions within the $select parameter while the $orderby and $filter parameters do support invoking an instance function.

What I am trying to achieve is to get the result of the invocation of a function as a value in my resultset. So the function gets evaluated for every item in my resultset (just as would happen if I add it to $fitler or $orderby). The name of the property would be the function name for example.

Right now I only see the option (in the ABNF) to request the path to the function, there's no way to invoke it. But that would require me to make N+1 queries in order to get the result of the function to my client.

Thanks,
Hans